TEMPLE'S CLOSET

As young men and women living in the 21st century, we all face struggles in the same areas of our lives at one point or another. On this site I will reveal some of the personal struggles that I have faced and the insights that I have gained through prayer, study and personal time with God.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Open Letter to My Friends, My Truth Commissioners

To My Dearest Friends:
Today on Oprah, the black therapist (I don't know her name but she is awesome!) suggested that every women (and I suppose men) have a Truth Commissioner. These are people in your life who promise to tell you the truth about yourself, situation, decision-making--even when you do not want to hear it.
From experience, I have come to realize that too many friends know and feel the truth but they do not want to share it with you because they fear that the friendship/relationship will be at stake if they tell you the truth so instead they watch you bump into wall after wall hoping that you do not get into an accident that is fatal. Most of you are unknowingly my Truth Commissioners but as of today, I am officially appointing you to the position. Please promise to tell me the truth even when I do not want to hear it. The Bible says in Proverbs "Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful." Deep!!

My life, my purpose, my destiny is influenced and shaped by your unadulterated truthfulness. I am officially appointing you to this position and I am expecting you to faithfully hold your post. I was about add a caveat requesting that you tell me the truth "in love" but I realized that there is no need to make this request because no matter how you say it (1) the truth will always hurt and (2) because I know your heart, I do not need to request that you tell me the truth in love because no matter how it might sound, I know your heart is in the right place. . . a good place, a holy place and therefore whatever you say or do it will always be in love. Of all the friends that I have, choosing you was an easy choice because I respect you and look up to you. I can only pray that I have been as good of a friend to you as you have been to me. When you have a moment, I suggest you appoint your own Truth Commissioners as well. Your life depends on it.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home